With the New Year upon us and 2016 already well on its way, many of us will be making the usual ‘New Years Resolutions’ but how many of those are realistic? I don’t know about you guys but the word ‘resolutions’ to me doesn’t sit right. So when Joanna Weakley approached me with her New Years ‘promises’ I thought this is much more up my street. I love the idea of promises has much more of a positive feel to it. So here are Joanna Weakley the founder of Holistic Silk three promises for 2016. I hope they inspire you towards a healthier happier New Years.
- My bedroom will be a Digital Free Zone. It’s been proven screens impact sleep quality so an hour before bed switch off, stretch out and sooth your mind. I recommend spending 5-10 minutes with our cooling Lavender Eye Pillow placed across your eyes. The soothing weight settles into the key acupressure points, blocking out light, so it’s instantly reassuring and sleep inducing.
- I will practice the ‘Five Tibetan Rites’ in the morning, every morning! Each of the five rites is made up of a set of movements that are repeated 21 times. I find them brilliant for improving clarity and memory, promoting health and supporting emotional well-being.
- I will walk more. It’s one of the best forms of exercise! Even when at home, instead of relying on others, it’s worth making a concerted effort to get up off the sofa and get whatever you need yourself! Our Massaging Slippers not only look pretty, they also improve circulation and metabolism to make the most of your walking.
Now I am sure you are wondering if you don’t already know, who is Joanna….what is Holistic Silk? Well your in luck because I thought why stop at New Years promises. Why not find out even more about this fantastic lady and her equally fantastic brand (I am obsessed with the lavender eye masks!!). I hope you enjoy this interview as much as I do :)
1.How and when did Holistic Silk first come about?
After studying textiles (BA hons) at Chelsea, I worked for many years in the wellness industry buying products for other companies and it was there that I realised there was a gap in the market. People were getting more and more fatigued and stressed, and with modern developments in technology time was beginning to be a luxury many people did not have. I wanted to aid people’s relaxation and to create a little calm in our increasingly fast-paced world. Many years on, this year we are excited to be celebrating our 15th birthday!
2. Can you describe Holistic Silk in a nutshell?
Ultimately we create innovative, truly effective and beautiful products which promote wellbeing and preserve your natural beauty.
3. How do you think the attitudes towards holistic health and wellness have changed over the last year/s?
Attitudes towards holistic health and wellness have changed hugely! We were one of the first brands with this kind of concept, but there has been a huge boom in this sector especially in the last few years – healthy eating, yoga practice and mindfulness have become much more commonplace. I believe it is a direct result of what people are craving and need more and more in their everyday lives.
4. What makes your products unique?
I created Holistic Silk because these products simply were not available. I create therapeutic products, but not at the expense of design. I marry the technical aspects with beautiful textiles to produce items that not only functioned and allow customers to de-stress, but also look aesthetically pleasing as well, creating truly holistic beauty essentials.
5. What’s your favourite Holistic Silk product and why?
This is a hard one as they all have different benefits, but at the moment as I’ve been travelling a lot it would have to be the Lavender Eye Mask. It was part of the original collection and after 15 years it is still our best seller, now available in an array of different fabrics. I take one everywhere I go and when I am travelling it is like a home away from home, no matter how hectic my trip is. It allows me a little rest and solace and a good night’s sleep wherever I might be… along with my Anti Ageing Silk Pillow Case which I use every night – totally addictive!
6. Can you tell us about your background?
I moved a lot throughout my childhood – including UK, Hong Kong and Portugal – so this is perhaps where the travel element of the brand stems from. I studied textiles and print design at Chelsea College of Arts before moving into wellbeing and had various jobs in both industries. I continued to travel throughout my twenties and was inspired to set up Holistic Silk in 2000, marrying together my love of travel, design and wellbeing.
7. Where did your love of health and wellbeing come from?
It’s a way of life! Through observing myself and others, I believe that a holistic approach is the best way to deal with life’s stresses. It is something I have always had a passion for and being able to unwind and take a little “time” when we are constantly stimulated with products, gadgets and technology is of upmost importance to me. I hope that Holistic Silk allows people to indulge in a little rest and relaxation in what for most people is always a busy day.
8. What do you love most about your job?
I love that no two days are the same. We have recently relocated from London to Cornwall and after 25 years in London the journey has been filled with challenges, but waking up in the landscape with new surroundings gives a totally new perspective.
I really love seeing the products in store, too, and the way other people get excited about them, plus the amazing feedback and positive responses we get. It’s good to know that all the hard work we put in makes some people very happy (and relaxed!)
9. What’s a typical day in the life of Joanna Weakley?
There isn’t one – every day is different and that is one of the biggest joys of running your own company. I meet with my team every morning to prioritise the day and then can be selecting fabrics, dealing with production, designing the next product or meeting suppliers, and answering a lot of questions!
10. How do you relax and unwind?
I practice yoga, walk along the cliff paths (beautiful in all the elements) and enjoy swimming in the sea in the summer. A little reading before bed (even if it’s just a few pages) is a habit I have recently got into, to let my mind wander away from Holistic Silk just for five minutes before nodding off.
11. Do you have any advice for young entrepreneurs?
Believe in your products, be determined and take positive elements from any criticism. Always think that a no today could well be a yes tomorrow.
It won’t be easy, but that is what makes the successes so much more pleasurable!
View Holistic Silk’s 15th Year Anniversary collection here: http://www.holisticsilk.com/fifteen-year-anniversary